INTERNATIONAL COMMODITY NEWS :
- Crude oil prices fell by 1.87 per cent on Thursday as the minutes of the Federal Reserve’s April meeting weighed on the commodity with prospects for a rate hike as early as June expected to boost the greenback further. Federal Reserve sent strong indications in its April minutes that it could raise interest rates next month triggering a rapid increase in the slumping dollar.
- Gold prices fell as minutes from the Federal Reserve suggested a near-term rate hike is possible. Minutes released by the Federal Reserve from its April policy meeting suggested an interest-rate increase in June was possible if incoming data showed an improving economy.
- The report released by World Metal Statistics (WBMS) that this year, the global primary aluminum market was in a slight excess supply of 48,000 tons during the first 3 months of this year. The primary aluminum demand during the first 3 months was 13.28 million tons, reducing by 664,000 tons compared with the same period last year.
ECONOMY NEWS :
- The International Monetary Fund backed Saudi Arabia’s sweeping economic reform plan on Thursday and said the kingdom was cutting spending at the right speed to cope with a huge state budget deficit caused by low oil prices.Late last month, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman announced steps to reduce the kingdom’s dependence on oil exports over the next 15 years, including subsidy cuts, tax rises, sales of state assets, a government efficiency drive and efforts to spur private sector investment.
- Global economic uncertainties and measures to deal with tax evasion will be among the key topics that finance leaders of the G7 advanced economies will discuss at a weekend meeting, Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso said on Thursday.Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda also warned that there are “various challenges” that G7 economies need to address as the global economy suffers from subdued growth.
- The first batch of foreign commercial banks has registered to directly trade yuan used for overseas trade settlement and can begin doing so on Friday, the foreign exchange market operator said. Approved foreign commercial banks include CTBC Bank, Taipei Fubon Bank, Standard Chartered (L:STAN) and Citibank Hong Kong Ltd (C).Foreign central banks have already been approved to trade directly in the country’s massive interbank forex market.
TRADING STRATEGY :
- BUY GOLD ABOVE 1262 TARGET 1267 1273 SL 1257
- SELL GOLD BELOW 1252 TARGET 1247 1241 SL 1257